In this episode, we look at our beliefs and how they deeply affect both the choices we make in life and how we react to situations we are presented with (or that we present ourselves with).
Here is a bit of a spoiler: As we go through life, we may need to periodically reexamine our beliefs to make sure they still serve us.
- Take a deep look at a belief that may not be serving you and see if you can find the genesis of that belief. Make sure it is yours and that it is valid.
- Apply this in situations where you feel like a broken record, reacting in the same uncomfortable way to the same repetitious situation.
- Give yourself some time to troubleshoot. Are you able to flip the script on that belief to allow you to make a different choice or have a different reaction? This make take a few tries, so don’t give up after just one version.
- Write down all your thoughts and beliefs about something you’d like to change. Be brutally honest.
- Put it away and do something that makes you feel good about yourself. Eat a healthy breakfast, take a walk, spend some quality time with your goldfish, read something worthwhile.
- Go back to your notes and read them as if a good friend had written them about themselves.
- Circle the statements that you can see are definitely or possibly untrue. Write truer, alternative, or more useful versions of those statements.
- Collect three pieces of evidence to support those new beliefs.
- Brock’s YouTube Channel
- Is that Treat Really a Treat? (Weighless.life blog post)
- The Weighless Program