You have probably heard the word ‘grit’ thrown around, but what does it really mean? Our guest on this episode boils it down to “getting back up, one more time.”
Every day we have the choice to either face our problems head-on or to let them overwhelm us. And it is those moments of overwhelm when we need to find our grit.
In this episode, Monica interviews guest Rebecca Louise, of the It Takes Grit podcast about why we feel stuck what it takes to get unstuck.
Rebecca has helped millions of people improve their mindset, find their grit, and achieve their goals. The secret behind Rebecca’s success isn’t just her (as she says) cheeky British humor; people gravitate to Rebecca because she’s shared many of the same experiences as they have; she knows what’s it’s like to feel lost, unable to find the right career, be broke, and struggle with an unhelpful relationship with food. It wasn’t until Rebecca changed her mindset and started to become the master of her habits that she was able o truly find her way to a career that she loved and a lifestyle that matched.
- The only way you can fail at something is if you quit.
- Instead of saying that you are stuck, admit to yourself that you have stopped and then find a way to get going again.
- Action creates motivation, not the other way around.
- If we are so locked to our identities as someone who is defined by their past or in need of fixing, we will find it hard to make change.
- Don’t take advice from someone you wouldn’t trade places with. And then make sure you actually follow their advice.
Think about the last time you asked for help, heard some good advice on a podcast, or found some helpful knowledge in a book you read.
Then think about whether or not you actually followed that advice. By that, I mean that you really took action based on what you learned.
If the answer is “no” or even “sort of,” dig deep and see if you can identify why you didn’t take action. Was it because you are too tied to your identity as someone who is X, Y or Z? Is it because you were scared that it actually might work? Or did you think it was going to take too much effort?
Learning how to do this type of introspection can help you avoid that stuck feeling and help you become the curious experimenter that we all want to be.
Resources and Links:
It Takes Grit podcast episode: How to get unstuck
Rebeccas’s new book, It Takes Grit