The eight things you need to make any change become lasting and sustainable, in our opinion, are: A reason, Curiosity, An objective, A Plan, Support, Practice, Failure, and Forever.
We’ll look at each of these in more depth in future episodes but for now, this is what you need to know.
1. A Compelling and Personal Reason – not the what and how but the WHY.
2. Curiosity – in a nutshell, this is the opposite of waiting for someone to tell you what to do.
3. Objectives – beyond a number on the scale or an amount in your bank account.
4. Plan — this is the opposite of wishing and hoping – this is figuring out the specific steps you need to take and what you need to make this happen.
5. Support – Instead of relying on willpower, you need to create an environment that reduces friction, removes barriers.
6. Practice – It’s not enough to think or do things once. In order to create sustainable change, you have to create ongoing habits, which require repetition and iteration.
7. Failure – we can’t figure out what works without figuring out what doesn’t work.
8. Forever — change changes you! It’s a process, not a product.